Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gathering Quilt Tops

Couldn't ask for a better day...

Brenda hauled Julia and me to Summerlin to pick up quilt tops from 2 nice women who don't even belong to our guild.  We are collecting quilt tops to send to a couple of quilt guilds that were ravaged by the recent tornadoes that recently hit the US.  Brenda read about sending anything sewing related to these guilds on "some blog".  I'm thinking it was Lollyquilts, but she says no.  Neither of us can remember much these days it seems...old age?  Perhaps.  Menopause is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  Brenda doesn't have an excuse because she thinks I'm wrong no matter what...which I probably am.

Brenda put the word out to our quilt guild that we were collecting quilt tops, etc., and we figured we'd be lucky if we gathered maybe 100 tops after collecting at our upcoming guild meeting.  Well today we acquired 121 quilts from these 2 women alone!  Score!



These lovely women, like most quilters I've met, were so deep-down wonderful and kind (not to mention prolific) it almost leaves me speechless...almost.  Geez, I doubt I could make even 50 quilt tops in my lifetime, let alone hundreds which is exactly what we saw in our first lovely lady's garage.  She parted with about two full boxes and our second wonderful lady handed over another 30 tops.  Majority of these quilts included backing fabric.  One of these quilt tops made by the second woman was larger than king size.  Amazing.

Before we left, we chatted for a bit with each of them.  I'm always interested in listening to people, I just love to hear their stories.  I only got a small glimpse into these women, but that was enough though, the spoken word is overrated in circumstances such as these.  I gathered enough to feel who these women really are just by being in their kind presence.  

We ended our visits with hugs initiated by Brenda.  I joined in and got not only a hug, but a kiss on the cheek from each!   Made my day.  Funny, Brenda commented that she was glad Jules and I were along because she doesn't feel like she's very personable in situations like that, but I told her it seems just the opposite what with all the hugging going on.  Anyway, we made a good team and much was accomplished on this short trip.

I had intended to take photos of these most generous women, but I forgot to even pull my camera out.  Oh well, if they're anything like me, they don't want their photo taken without a little time to prep beforehand.  

It was a fine afternoon that ended with all of us getting iced drinks at The Coffee Bean and Tea House where I saw this posted just as we walked in:


Simple and pleasant days like this already remind me of how awesome life is, but this posting was a nice reminder to savor the moment.

   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment