Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When I Least Expect It......................................25/365

Yesterday I received an email from the supervisor of the small company I work for part-time asking if I would like to work more hours.  Instead of trying to negotiate anything in email (too easy to miscommunicate) I instead called her and told her of my current situation with the big company and how already I'm burnt out working my head off for them.  Like any other time I've started with a new company there is the intial struggle with getting my speed back up.  My speed is especially affected because inevitably I have to learn a completely new system. 

In my job, time is definitely money and all those pennies add up quickly when I'm working with t a doctor I have heard a few times, and of course all of the "normals" that add up to free lines.  Unfortunately since working for the big company I have yet to be able to make even one normal nor have I heard the same physician more than a once or twice.  I'm literally learning to type for dozens of new doctors.  Keep doing this and I'll make less money than I did last year.

Anywho.  I explained to small company's supervisor that if there was enough work for me to come back full-time, I would be very happy to do so.  To my surprise she said yes and that she had been holding out for a couple of weeks to make sure the work was steady enough so she could offer me full-time work again.  Yippeeeee!

I haven't worked full time for this company since last February as we lost an account and part-timers are always the first to lose hours.  I made less money last year than I have ever made in my entire working life, even back when I was only making 4 bucks an hour working at the Antique store and Fuddruckers.  When I found the job at the psychiatric hospitial last September I thought I had it made.  Well, that only lasted a month or so and I ended up being injured to boot.  Add that to not knowing if we were going to lose the house and a myriad of other traumas in my life, 2010 really turned out to be an awful year.  Looks like 2011 is shaping up much better.

The small company makes my schedule a lot easier overall, my supervisor is always willing to work with any of us when we need to make changes.  Whew!  I was dreading having to tell the big company that I would need to have almost the entire first week in March off just so I can fulfill my duties as Volunteer Chairperson for our quilt show.  I mentioned this to the small company supervisor today and she said "no problem", and I will probably end up working in the evenings to make up what time I might lose each day during the quilt show.

Best of all, after the quilt show, I'm going to focus on what I had originally offered to do for the small company last fall which was to be a scout and find more work for us.  If I find enough accounts, I wouldn't have to actually transcribe at all as I would make money off of each line transcribed by the others.  Once the account is established I would only have to do quarterly followup to make sure that the clients are satisfied.  I love customer service and, best of all, it would get me out into the world doing what I enjoy best, working with people.  So right up my alley.

Ain't life grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment