Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Challenge Quilt Continued.........................................26/365

Wow.  Kind of wondering if should have attempted something like this right now.  I've never really done any kind of piecing like this other than the curved piecing I did recently.  So many little pieces that have to fit together perfectly.


I didn't count them, but there were a lot.  They were marked in groups A, B, C, all the way to letter S and most piles consisted of 5-6 pieces so I suppose I could do the math, but I don't like math so I'll guestimate there were a gagillion pieces in all.


Looks like Dr. Frankenstein's handiwork.  It actually came together fairly quickly.  I think making sure that all of my seam allowances were exact really helped. 


Remnants of challenge fabric:

No real pigs were harmed in the making of this quilt.


It didn't occur to me until I was done sewing the top that I had been utilizing the pincushion my Grandma gave me back when she taught me how to make a cathedral window pillow (a gazillion years ago).  I have a growing collection of pincushions, but this is the most special of all.  Funny, I chose this one totally by accident.  :o)



If I say so myself, I think it came out pretty good. Hard to see her hand as the quilt is kind of busy...oh well. Not too thrilled with the light green fabric I chose for the triagle at the top of her head, makes it look pointy. I may try to darken that one piece with a fabric pen. Definitely not taking this apart for any reason, pointy head or not.



Even though I kind of liked the dress being plain, I had planned on putting some buttons down the front to break it up a bit.  Luckily I realized, after reading the rules for the challenge, that I HAD to put not only buttons, but bows and lace!  Yikes.  Not at all my style, but I made a quick trip to the fabric store and found a mossy green ribbon and hem trim which will just have to do for the lace portion.

                                      


Next, I had to figure out a border.  I decided on a soft yellow along with this fabric I purchased while on the Shop Hop last fall.  I just LOVE this flower pattern and it seemed to work well with the overall look....at least that's what I think.



Below is my first attempt at pin basting a quilt. 


I've learned a few new techniques while making this little quilt.  Kind of proud of myself.  :o)


To be continued....


No comments:

Post a Comment