Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Blessings: Birches.................................30/365

Blessing because I've been allowed to capture such beauty doing something I truly enjoy.

I forgot to post my finished project that I started, oh geez, way back before my birthday.  I showed the back of this quilt top in a previous post, so proud of my curved piecing technique.  This is not an original design (they rarely are), it is based on a wall hanging I found on the internet when I was looking for examples of trees to make for the block exchange my quilt circle did last October.  I love birch trees almost as much as I love eucalyptus.  Birch are far more beautiful, but nothing smells as wonderful as eucalyptus.

The the wall hanging I found on the internet consisted of curved piecing as the background and the trees were more "minimalist" with only short stacato black stitching here and there on the trunks.

Well...I started out with some basic black stitches, mostly made to keep with the beige translucent fabric in place.  Then I started fooling around and next thing you know I've scribbled all over the darn thing.  I decided it needed more depth so I added a tan thread and then a very light blue.  I suppose I could have added just about any color really as nature is filled to the brim with colors.  But, I think I stopped at the right time.  Editting one's self is the hardest thing to do.  Knowing when to say when...

I'm going to make a similar wall hanging, albeit larger to better fit the space in my home where I intend to hang it, for the upcoming quilt show.  Need to get started on that asap.  Too many irons in the fire, such is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment